Become a Kids2College Partner
- Kids2College Fact Sheet (PDF)
Become a Partner
Bring Kids2College to your community.
Meet William Chichester, a 1995 Kids2College Participant, and read how a first generation college grad is giving back.
Are you interested in generating college-awareness at the middle school level? Kids2College is a free curriculum that is proven to raise college awareness among sixth-grade students and their families. The Sallie Mae Fund is seeking strong local partners who will succeed in reaching this important demographic through the Kids2College program.
Kids2College is built on local partnerships in communities where there is a need for early college-awareness and a desire to inspire a college-going culture. Each program operates with the following:
- Schools and School Districts: Sixth-grade teachers, preferably with the support of their school districts, are trained to teach the six-session curriculum in the classroom. Schools are responsible for printing materials and providing transportation to the partner college or university.
- Colleges and Universities: A university representative participates in select in-classroom sessions and organizes and hosts the campus visit for partner sixth-grade classes, including providing a meal and scheduling interactive activities.
- Program Coordinator: An employee of the school district, university partner, or local nonprofit organization provides program structure, recruits colleges and sixth-grade classes, trains classroom teachers, and facilitates program evaluation.
- Curriculum, Training, and Online Community: The Sallie Mae Fund provides the national curriculum free of charge to partners who share the vision and commitment to implement the program locally. Training by The Fund is available to practitioners who have the capacity to implement the program. In addition, program practitioners are supported by an online community for sharing best practices and tips for creating a college-going culture.
The sixth-grade focus is the result of extensive research and best practices shared suring the program’s 16-year history. While The Sallie Mae Fund intends for the Kids2College curriculum to be used at the sixth-grade level, instructors may adapt it for use with students in grades five through eight as determined by the local program needs and the student cohorts being served.
Read more about the characteristics and responsibilities (PDF, 22KB) of a successful Kids2College partner.
If you can assemble this network in your local community, sign up on the Kids2College website.
Contact The Sallie Mae Fund with any questions.